phpgroupware website
Chris Weiss
2010-01-29 18:01:35 UTC
This mostly just an FYI. In case you didn't know or forgot, I'm
hosting the web and list server. I'm not very active in the project
any more, but I don't have a problem continuing to host the server.
Dave took care of the software maintenance on it though, so someone
should probably take that up if he's no longer doing it.

I've been doing some server consolidation, so I'm going to migrate the
server to a virtual machine. It's currently running on a AMD XP 2600+
1GB ram and a single 80GB PATA disk with only 9GB used. once migrated
it'll still have 1GB ram, and vCPU but on a Opteron 265, and I'll give
it a 15GB virtual disk that will reside on a scsi raid10 array. This
should be an upgrade, if not in performance then certainly in
redundancy. There will be some downtime as I copy the 9GB of data off
the HDD, I plan on starting in a couple hours.

I'm also in process of switching to a new internet provider so the IP
address will be changing. DNS is hosted externally and I have access
to that, you should see a new IP address in the next week or so, but
the old one should continue to work for another month at least. There
shouldn't be any downtime due to the IP change.
Chris Weiss
2010-01-29 21:00:24 UTC
Post by Chris Weiss
I've been doing some server consolidation, so I'm going to migrate the
server to a virtual machine.  It's currently running on a AMD XP 2600+
1GB ram and a single 80GB PATA disk with only 9GB used.  once migrated
it'll still have 1GB ram, and vCPU but on a Opteron 265, and I'll give
it a 15GB virtual disk that will reside on a scsi raid10 array.  This
should be an upgrade, if not in performance then certainly in
redundancy.  There will be some downtime as I copy the 9GB of data off
the HDD, I plan on starting in a couple hours.
the migration to a virtual machine is done.

If no one has any objections, I'll donate the server to a local
not-for-profit community group.
Benoit Hamet
2010-01-29 21:38:23 UTC
Post by Chris Weiss
Post by Chris Weiss
I've been doing some server consolidation, so I'm going to migrate the
server to a virtual machine. It's currently running on a AMD XP 2600+
1GB ram and a single 80GB PATA disk with only 9GB used. once migrated
it'll still have 1GB ram, and vCPU but on a Opteron 265, and I'll give
it a 15GB virtual disk that will reside on a scsi raid10 array. This
should be an upgrade, if not in performance then certainly in
redundancy. There will be some downtime as I copy the 9GB of data off
the HDD, I plan on starting in a couple hours.
the migration to a virtual machine is done.
If no one has any objections, I'll donate the server to a local
not-for-profit community group.
In my case no objection. Thanks for the migration.
Maât
2010-02-04 11:10:39 UTC
Post by Chris Weiss
Post by Chris Weiss
I've been doing some server consolidation, so I'm going to migrate the
server to a virtual machine. It's currently running on a AMD XP 2600+
1GB ram and a single 80GB PATA disk with only 9GB used. once migrated
it'll still have 1GB ram, and vCPU but on a Opteron 265, and I'll give
it a 15GB virtual disk that will reside on a scsi raid10 array. This
should be an upgrade, if not in performance then certainly in
redundancy. There will be some downtime as I copy the 9GB of data off
the HDD, I plan on starting in a couple hours.
the migration to a virtual machine is done.
well done. thanks for all Chris :)
Post by Chris Weiss
If no one has any objections, I'll donate the server to a local
not-for-profit community group.
Well no objection at all afaiak

Bests,
Maât
Chris Weiss
2010-02-04 13:54:32 UTC
Post by Chris Weiss
If no one has any objections, I'll donate the server to a local
not-for-profit community group.
I've been reminded that the hardware actually belongs to the FSF. Who
is our representative with them now, and can you clear this with them?
I personally don't think the system is worth the cost of shipping it,
but it's their call.

systems spec are as follows:
4U basic rack mount case
AMD 2600+ CPU
ASUS socketA desktop class mainboard with onboard network and sound
2x512MB ram
80GB pata hdd
DVD Rom drive
no video card (the card I received it with was not operational so I loaned one)
Benoit Hamet
2010-02-04 15:28:58 UTC
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris Weiss
Post by Chris Weiss
If no one has any objections, I'll donate the server to a local
not-for-profit community group.
I've been reminded that the hardware actually belongs to the FSF. Who
is our representative with them now, and can you clear this with them?
I personally don't think the system is worth the cost of shipping it,
but it's their call.
Ah. I'm supposed to be their contact for the project. I will see with
Karl what we can do with it.

Regards.

Benoît.
Chris Weiss
2010-02-19 18:37:01 UTC
Post by Benoit Hamet
Post by Chris Weiss
If no one has any objections, I'll donate the server to a local
not-for-profit community group.
I've been reminded that the hardware actually belongs to the FSF.  Who
is our representative with them now, and can you clear this with them?
 I personally don't think the system is worth the cost of shipping it,
but it's their call.
Ah. I'm supposed to be their contact for the project. I will see with
Karl what we can do with it.
any word?

also in process of changing the IP I've noticed that the secondary
server listed in the whois doesn't resolve, and I have no idea who can
fix that.
Dave Hall
2010-02-20 10:14:59 UTC
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris Weiss
also in process of changing the IP I've noticed that the secondary
server listed in the whois doesn't resolve, and I have no idea who can
fix that.
Dan controls that. It looks like OpenDNS has taken over that IP range.

Cheers

Dave
Benoit Hamet
2010-02-25 18:16:14 UTC
Hi All,

Does one of you know who is running IRSeekBot10 ? it seems to have a big
problem on the channel.

Chris, I finally got the answer, transfering via private mail.

Regards,

Benoît.
Post by Benoit Hamet
Hi Chris,
Chris Weiss
2010-02-25 22:39:02 UTC
Post by Benoit Hamet
Hi All,
Does one of you know who is running IRSeekBot10 ? it seems to have a big
problem on the channel.
I think one of the freenode staff does
haven't seen it yet...
Dave Hall
2010-02-25 22:39:16 UTC
Post by Benoit Hamet
Hi All,
Does one of you know who is running IRSeekBot10 ? it seems to have a big
problem on the channel.
IRCSeek.com is. It is a logging bot for an IRC search engine. I banned
IRSeek*!*@*.ip.secureserver.net from #phpgroupware and other chans i
have ops on. You should have ops too.

I also contacted IRCSeek and explained why I had banned their broken bot
and told them they were no longer welcome in the chans I have ops on. I
think it is very poor design to just have a bot in a join/flood/ban loop
for hours on end.

Cheers

Dave

Benoit Hamet
2010-02-24 10:00:24 UTC
Post by Chris Weiss
Post by Benoit Hamet
Post by Chris Weiss
Post by Chris Weiss
If no one has any objections, I'll donate the server to a local
not-for-profit community group.
I've been reminded that the hardware actually belongs to the FSF. Who
is our representative with them now, and can you clear this with them?
I personally don't think the system is worth the cost of shipping it,
but it's their call.
Ah. I'm supposed to be their contact for the project. I will see with
Karl what we can do with it.
any word?
Yes, things are ongoing on the FSF side :). waiting for them on the
decision.